Sunday, September 16, 2007

Momma called the doctor and the doctor said...

Head on over to the emergency room at Children's hospital within an hour! Yes, it's true. To keep a potentially novel length blog post at bay, I will try to be brief. Last night Amelia threw up, tossed her cookies, etc. We didn't think much of it, she has thrown up on occasion. But did she stop after one time, oh no... she just kept going and going and going and I will spare you the gory details, but lets just say it was not pleasant. It was painful to watch. After careful deliberation, trying to decide if I was being a paranoid first time parent, I called the doctor. I admit I was expecting a "watch out for the signs of dehydration and she will be fine" but what did I get "uh, I'm going to call over to Children's hospital and you should bundle her up and head on over asap." WHAT!?! In a somewhat state of shock we packed up and headed to Seattle. She was examined about 4 times by 3 different people and they unanimously agreed that it was probably not an intestinal blockage. They sent us home shortly after, as you can imagine we were completely relieved. They couldn't identify the cause but gave us a whole list of things to watch out for. On the drive home, DJ's suit pants soaked with throw up, we marveled that we had made it through our first emergency room visit. No freaking out, no crying, we were quite calm, and so was Amelia. She even flashed them a few smiles to win everyone over. We returned home in the middle of the night, exhausted in every way. Luckily Amelia has been doing well ever since, the hardest part has been feeding her. Not because she doesn't want to eat, but because she wants to oh so very much. I'm only supposed to feed her for a couple of minutes every 10-20 minutes till it equals a regular feeding. Lets just say those are LONG minutes.

Now I bet you thought our ordeal was over, so did we. But to top it all off, Amelia decided to somehow cut her gum on a toy this evening. What a bloody and screaming show she put on. Luckily that is also fine. Boy, I think we all need a good nights sleep.

No comments: